How Do I Lock My E-Bike?
What Is The Best Lock For Your EBike?
Because you’ve spent a good amount of money on your new ride a lock for your bike is some insurance. Here’s how to protect what you got.
So here are some things to consider in choosing a lock to secure your eBike:
- Think about how secure you’ll need it? Do you live in a small, safe town where just about everyone knows each other? Naturally, this is a lower risk. But still not perfect. I’d get a lock for my ebike.
- Are you living in a city or an area known for higher rates of crime? This obviously is high risk. And because you’re locking an e-bike it will definitely attract much more attention than just a bike.
- And then decide how long your e-bike will be unattended.
Use these questions to help you decide which ebike lock will work best for you. These will work for electric tricycles too. So don’t skimp on a locking system.
We’re going to go into detail about the different types.
U aka D Lock
U also known as D Locks are the most secure. And are best sellers!
This is a very durable/all weather Via Velo bike U lock.
It’s a great price and incredibly strong and very reliable.
It’s easy to lock and strong! And has a woven steel cable.
Comes with 2 keys! Take one of them and the other leave at home for backup.
Also included is a mounting bracket for the lock system.
Warranty: 3-year warranty applies to U lock for US, CA, UK, EU Cyclists, a 90-day money-back policy.
2-in-1 Heavy Duty Bicycle U-lock and Woven Steel Cable for Added Protection.
” It is worth the money!
This U lock is sturdy and strong but isn’t too heavy.
It’s easy to put on the bike.
No problems with it.”
Some Technical Stuff:
- Thick 14 mm (0.55 in) including rubber casing, heat-hardened steel shackle protects against cutting and leveraging.
- Shackle steel hardness (Rockwell scale) HRC50-HRC58 (through-hardened); cutting force strength 34.3 kN; pulling force strength 29.3 kN.
- Tough double-bolt crossbar locking mechanism offers twice the security against prying and jacking.
- Pull and drill-resistant lock cylinder.
- Pick-resistant lock stops knocking and bumping.
- Flexible 1800 mm (5 ft 10 in) woven steel cable with smoke-grey transparent PVC coating secures both wheels, accessories and more.
- A convenient mounting bracket ensures safe and compact storage when cycling; no need to pack your lock in a separate carry case or knapsack.
- 2 keys specially designed to be difficult to copy.
- Product weight 3.2 pounds/1.45 kg
- The U lock (aka D lock) weighs less than chains.
And more: A lock debris cover keeps dust and dirt out of your lock.
PVC protective coating material protects your bike from getting scratched.
Resists corrosion from water, dust, and dirt to prolong the life of your lock.
Lock Maintenance: For best operation, be sure to clean and lubricate the cylinder and the locking mechanism regularly with a light spray, such as WD-40.
Chain E-Bike Lock
Chains are harder to cut with battery-powered grinders. And it’s tricky to cut and keep the chain steady at the same time. We like this one – The Kryptonite Keeper 785 Integrated Bicycle Lock Chain Bike Lock, 33.5″
This chain bike lock is rated Moderate Security
But who wants to mess with something called Kryptonite!?
Some of the details for this chain ebike lock are:
- It’s available in 4 colors: black, grey, red, and purple
- 7mm four-sided chain links made from Kryptonite’s high-performing 3T manganese steel.
- The new end link design secures the chain with the hardened deadbolt.
- New design secures chain directly to hardened deadbolt; offers no “weak” link in the chain due to the extensive holding power of the link itself against attacks.
- High-security disc-style cylinder is pick and drill resistant.
- Weather-resistant nylon sleeve prevents scratches to painted finishes; compact coiling for easy carrying.
- Comes with 2 ergonomic keys.
- Length: 33.5″ (85cm)
- Weight: 3.50 lbs (1.59k g’s)
The company also includes Anti-theft Protection when you register your chain lock online. In the unlikely event the product is defeated when used properly Kryptonite will pay out up to a certain value depending on the security value of the product.
Cable E-Bike Lock
Titanker Bike Lock Cable. You can get either a 4 or 6-foot cable. Handles easily with its self-coiling cable. And comes with a complimentary mounting bracket for easy storage on the go. You don’t need to waste precious space in your backpack, pannier, or basket. Something to lock your bike in a safe area or just to use as a theft deterrent.
These types of locks can be cut, but if you’re just using it for a quick errand it should serve your needs. I’d use a U lock if you’re going to secure your bike outside for longer periods.
Here are some of the details:
- Easy to set combination: 4 digit combination locking mechanism for keyless convenience.
- Resettable combination: It’s easy to set your own personalized number combination. The 4 digit combination allows 10,000 possibilities. Making this lock nearly impossible to crack.
- Multipurpose: Perfect for bikes alone or with another type of lock for extra security. Multipurpose it for skateboards, gates, fences, grills, lawnmowers, sports equipment, tool boxes, or ladders.
- Good performance: Flexible steel cables for strong cut resistance and PVC coating help prevent scratching and make it more durable.
- Size: 6 inches(1.8m) long x 1/2 inches(12mm) diameter with vinyl shell.
Folding E-Bike Lock
Here’s a compact folding bike lock – patented lightweight High Security eBike Lock – heavy-duty anti-theft smart secure guard with keys and case for eBikes, bikes, or scooters
All about it:
- Here’s a top-rated, lightweight compact, solid and lightweight bike lock. Good for the city and urban use. Bolt Cutter Drill & Saw Proof
- It’s ultra-secure and heavy-duty using anti-tamper rivets.
- You can rely on this protection – Pro Security Kit & Accessories Set: Master Keys & Case Holder. It’s easy to use and to carry. It’s flexible, foldable. Locks to stands racks and bars
- Super Quiet Mounting Bracket Accessory for electric, mountain, road, sport, standard bikes, scooters, and motorcycles for silent gear
- Cutting Edge Design for Stylish Protection.
They show extensive testing
They Tested this lock By Using a Wide Variety of Stress Tests, Simulating Real-Life Attack Strategies by Thieves:
✔ Bolt Cutter
A Bolt Cutter is One of the Most Common Theft Strategies Used by Thieves. But A 60 CM Standard Boltcutter is No Match for Our FoldyLock Compact! The Lock Wasn’t Broken By a Bolt Cutter.
✔ Hammer & Chisel
In Hammer & Chisel Attacks, Thieves Apply Concentrated Pressure in an Attempt to Break a Lock. But Brute Force Was No Match for Our FoldyLock Compact, Which Easily Withstood the Attack.
Our Anti Theft Rivets Make the FoldyLock Compact Immune to Crowbar Prying & Twisting Attacks! We Passed the Crowbar Test with Flying Colors.
✔ Freeze Attack
We Saved the Best for Last! Using Liquid Nitrogen to Freeze & Weaken the Metal on the Lock, Our Lock Remained Solid & Secure. Even a Freeze Attack Couldn’t Break the FoldyLock Compact.
Use multiple Locks?
Locking to a tree harms the tree and it could get cut down just to steal your bike. And most important – lock your e-bike to something solid, secure, and legal.
If there is no safe way to secure your ebike – demand bike storage at your work and in your community.
So besides from that here’s what I’ve read in many places “Buy the best lock you can afford and then buy another one.”
You could always rig it with an alarm, GPS tracking, and other tech solutions, but that’s a topic for another article.